At midnight on Saturday, I got an email from one of my top choice agents, offering representation. Based on their interests, I had a good feeling they’d love my book. Well, I hoped.
And after a month of toiling and all that, they read the full in like…two days (after requesting it based on loving the partial) and wanted to offer immediately.
The fact that an agent was not only loving my manuscript on a Saturday night, but immediately went to email me to talk about it? Completely awesome. So we scheduled a phone call for Sunday, and that went great too. The agent has a great energy, and the first thing that struck me was how well they got the book. They “got” it. And that was the one thing I had hoped for more than anything. Someone who clearly loved my book and understood it.
So first thing Monday I notified the other agents who still had fulls, and told them I had an offer. And now I’m in this waiting period, where I consider my options. If someone else offers? It’s going to be a crazy, difficult, and probably painful decision (assuming the phone call goes as well as the first one did). The waiting is bad enough – when you’re querying, it’s all very open-ended. You put your stuff out there, and there’s no telling how long it’s going to take. At this stage, under these circumstances though, things are sped up a lot more. And I know that in a few days, I’m going to know for certain where I stand.
I thought I knew who my top, top choices were, and then the phone call really shifted everything around for me. I don’t want to name names as to who it is yet, at least until I’ve formally accepted their offer of representation, but I already kinda feel like I’m in good hands.
Two of my fulls/partials bowed out Sunday night and Monday morning, so that left 3 I’m waiting to hear back from. Cross your fingers, but I’d love to have a decision made by the end of the week. That would be ideal. Two words for you.
Panic. Face. (As in mine)