Here’s what Twitter is not:
- Twitter is not your therapist.
- Twitter does not understand when are being passive-aggressive.
- Twitter is not a secret-keeper. If you put it out there, Twitter will tell his friend Google.
- Twitter is not your own personal Room of Applause. If you need affection, get a puppy.
- Twitter is not your marketing campaign.
- Twitter is not how you get an agent/editor/critique partner (usually).
- Twitter does not understand sarcasm 30% of the time.
- Twitter is not the end all and be all of social media.
- Twitter allows you to ‘know’ people, but you don’t actually KNOW them. They do not owe you favors, swag, reviews, critiques because they follow you. They do not owe you a follow-back just because you follow them.
- Twitter doesn’t recognize quantity over quality.
- Twitter does not mandate that all @replies must get a response. Sometimes people are busy. Or sometimes they don’t have anything to say back. That doesn’t mean anything.
Here’s what Twitter is:
- Twitter is a social media tool.
- Twitter allows you to network with likeminded individuals.
- Twitter gives you a new way to interact with your heroes, your favorite writers/singers/producers/whatever.
- Twitter rewards quality – more people follow you, more people talk to you when you have something to say.
- Twitter can help you augment your other marketing efforts by spreading the word about upcoming releases.
- Twitter can put you into contact with people/agents/editors looking for the kinds of things you write.
- Twitter makes it easy to sever relationships. It’s called unfollow. A quick jump in followers won’t last if you’re not putting out decent, interesting content.
- Twitter is 140 characters. There is no ‘hidden 300 character meaning’ behind what someone says in 140. What they say is what they mean.
- Twitter is a tool. Nothing more.
What do you guys think? What is Twitter? Or what is it NOT?